Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Monday Day Trip

On July 27th Helena and I headed out for a day trip.  All three of my girls are really keen to join me on my photo outings as they seem to have inherited my love for exploring, particularly old buildings and abandoned stuff.
It was cloudy all morning and by noon some showers were rolling in.  As Helena and I were about to leave the city, another thunderstorm hit.  This one didn't have hail, or particularly heavy winds, but it dumped a lot of rain in a very short period of time.  It absolutely poured, and water was running everywhere.  I understand that we got another half inch of rain in about half an hour.  This is not what we need as the ground is already very saturated with the excessive rainfall we have experienced over the past six weeks.  When we returned home later in the evening we found our patio was a lake, and that a little new water had entered the basement.
Our original intention was to head to the northeast, but that was the direction the storm was tracking.  We changed our plans and headed southwest.  It continued to rain lightly as we left the city but by early afternoon it cleared up to blue skies.
We stopped and photographed an old farm hard, and explored a couple of abandoned rural service stations.  Both had been closed for at least a year or two and both were heavily vandalized and looted.  Helena really enjoys checking out stuff like this and took a few photos both with her phone, and with a 35mm SLR.  We also found an old abandoned stripping shovel, left over from some coal mining operations in the area.
I managed to pull my view camera out a few times and ended up exposing around ten sheets of film.  It turned out to be a pretty good day, except for the heavy rain part.  If this doesn't come to an end soon I'm going to have to start building an ark.  Then the rains came... for forty days and forty nights... now I know what Noah must have felt like.













No comments:

Post a Comment