Margarit, Hank and I went out for a drive on Friday. It was an escape from all the chaos of dealing with our flooded basement.
I brought along my view camera, with the intention of taking a few photographs. I really haven't done much photography yet this year, and am way behind my normal pace. After passing through Elk Island Park, as I detailed in an earlier post, we headed further northeast. Eventually we ended up in a small town in Two Hills County.
It isn't really a ghost town, as there are still a number of people living there. There is also a post office and a county shop and a couple other commercial buildings, some abandoned. There are a number of badly deteriorated buildings and I photographed a few things. By the end of the day I had exposed ten sheets of film, though this included a couple that I took in Elk Island.
The air was heavy with wildfire smoke blowing down from the Northwest Territories. It created a very unusual light with a very orange color to it. That is evident in some of the phone snapshots I have posted here.
It was very hot with the temperature peaking at 30C. Margarit and Hank had a tough time with it and spent a lot of time looking for shade or sitting in the air conditioned truck. I found it hot as well, but I seem to handle heat better than the rest of my family. I had long pants and a hoodie on all day, to mitigate the mosquitos, which didn't really seem necessary as their weren't many. We expected them to be out in hoards due to all the recent rain but there weren't very many. Perhaps it was too hot for them too.
By late afternoon we made our way back to the city and on the way we picked up a few groceries to make supper with the kids.




No comments:
Post a Comment