Thursday, June 22, 2023

Winding Down

On Sunday June 11th it cooled off and the long awaited showers finally materialized.  Unfortunately they did not last, and did not bring a lot of rain.  All told we got just under 6mm... about 3/16 of an inch.
In the morning I took my view camera out and attempted to photograph some bunchberry blossoms.  As luck would have it, the rain started just as I got the camera set up.  But botanical shots such as this look better in soft, overcast light, and with some raindrops on the leaves.  Compare these two snapshots included below to a couple I took a few days ago of the same bunchberry blossoms and I think most would agree that these are better.
I finished up the last of the electrical while the off and on showers rolled through.  This was the last remaining circuit, the one for the tank alarms.  I had the high level alarm for the water storage cistern so I installed that.  I don't have the alarm for the septic tank yet but I finished up the circuit.  This septic alarm is mounted in the crawl space and just plugs in to a regular receptacle.  Then I ran the wire that was previously roughed in to the tank, into the crawl space.  This will be for the float switch, and simply has to be connected to the alarm when the time comes.  I had to mount an exterior PVC junction box on the exterior wall to run everything into.  
A little more backfilling is needed in front of the cottage, and when that happens the extension cord that is visible in my snapshot will be buried.  It was a little too short so I added another short length of cord to it, and some protective covers for the connections.  This is for the heat trace tape that is wrapped around our buried sewer line.  As we are on solid bedrock we could not bury the tank very deep, and even though a mound was created to cover everything, and the line is insulated, it is not very far beneath the surface.  The heat trace tape will allow us to prevent the line from freezing if the cottage sees any use during extremely cold weather.
On Monday June 12th it was sunny, though the smoke from the wildfires had rolled back in.  In the morning, while it was still cool, I buzzed the drone up for a few snapshots.  Then in the late morning, before it got too hot, I went and played a round of golf.  I was the only one on the course for most of the morning so I ended up playing two balls.  This allowed me to play 18 holes while only walking the 9 hole course once.  My score was slightly better than my previous round, but not by much.  Once again, my tee shots were pretty good, but everything else left something to be desired.  I shot a 49 with one ball and a 46 with the other.
Now that all the glue and paint is dry on the pantry I stood it up to make room for other work.  I hope to get a few more chores accomplished in the guest cottage before I have to head back home to the city.  In the afternoon I took a spin on the side-by-side over to Shunda Creek.  I wandered around there for a bit with my camera and took a couple of photos.  Then when I retured I put a coat of paint on the door jamb for the bathroom.  That saw my day come to an end, and it was nice to have a break from all the work I've been doing lately.

















No comments: