Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Last Permit

It has been really warm and sunny in Nordegg at the beginning of June.  On Friday June 9th I initially thought that I might go play a round of golf, and maybe get out with the camera.  But by 9:30 in the morning it was already +25C... a little too hot for golf...!  Then shortly after that the wind picked up to the point that photography would have been a challenge.  I decided to keep working instead.
I got most of the parts for the pantry primed and painted with at least one coat of paint.  I will finish up the painting over the next day or so, and hopefully have time to start assembly.  I drilled an extra hole in the rim of the stainless steel kitchen sink so that we can include the sprayer that came with our retro faucet.  Then I drilled the holes in the counter top to accept the faucet and the sprayer.  I got everything mounted into place, and the sink secured.  I also got the drain lines connected to both the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink.  The water supply lines that came with the kitchen faucet did not have the right size connections, so I was not able to use them.  Perhaps this is an American thing, as I bought the faucet online from an American supplier.  I had a couple of supply lines that I had brought out.  It turns out they were slightly too short to use in the bathroom, as I originally intended, but they worked in the kitchen.
While I was working the building inspector stopped by.  It turns out that my construction is far enough along that he was able to close my building permit.  This was great news as the permit expires in July, and I didn't want to have to extend it.  The only things that I have left to do to satisfy the permit are to finish connecting the sinks, put the kitchen range in place, install the toilet, and build a landing at the door.
The range and toilet need the floor tiles to be in place before I can proceed.  But the inspector saw that both the range and the floor tiles were there.  The toilet flange is installed, but again I need the tiles in place before I can bring out a toilet and install it.  The landing at the door is awaiting final backfilling to finished grade.  Once that is complete I will be able to build a small landing, about 4 feet by 6 feet,in front of the door.  It will be close enough to finished grade that it will only require one or two steps, and railings will be optional.  I think I'll include a couple railings on either side but won't get carried away.  Everything was close enough that the inspector was satisfied, and he signed off on the permit.  Although the heat is now off, I still want to push forward and wrap things up as soon as I can.  The place is not really usable until I get the last of this stuff done.





No comments: