Saturday, April 15, 2023

Winter Aspens

I recently processed a batch of Ilford FP4+ 125 sheet film in 4x5 format.  These sheets had been set aside from my regular FP4 stuff, as the images were all subjects with a limited brightness range.  I find that images shot in flat light conditions respond well to plus development.  I use Kodak HC-110 developer for this, as it is a robust and fast acting developer.  It is not suited to everything, but works nicely for plus development.  A rather extended development time of 14 minutes 20 seconds, with Dilution B [1:31] gives a full one zone expansion.
This image was taken on the Monochrome Guilds 2022 Fall Photo Weekend.  These are the aspen trees along the road up to Pyramid Lake, just above the Jasper townsite in Jasper National Park.  The area used to be beautiful forest of mixed spruce, aspen and pine.  The Mountain Pine Beetle infestation of recent years has wiped out all the pine and only the spruce and aspen remain.  The dead pine trees were in the process of being removed and burnt to hopefully stop further spread of the beetles.  It will be years before the new clearings are colonized by new pine trees as well as the aspen and spruce.
I shot this on October 24th 2022 just before 11:00AM.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a long Fujinon 400mm telephoto lens, with no filter.



No comments: