Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Renegades - Winter Hockey

My Renegades Hockey Team finished the winter season on March 31st.  I missed the last game as I was out at Nordegg at the time.  I made it out to 19 of 30 games this season, not bad, considering that I live about half the time out at the cottage.  I attempted to plan my travels this season around the hockey schedule as much as I could.  I finished the season with no goals, seven assists and five penalty minutes.  Obviously I am not a huge contributor to the team on the ice.  But I am more than a decade older than the next oldest player on our team.  In fact most of our players average between 30 and 35 years of age... about half my age.
The team finished the regular season tied for third place, out of a group of eight teams that are in our Division 6C.  We were dropped down to fourth place because the team that we were tied with, had a better record against us.  We were moved up one division at about the 2/3 point of the season, and despite that we still did pretty well.  We finished the winter season tied for the most wins [21] and for the fewest losses [6].  The team points were adjusted after the divisional move so this resulted in our finish in fourth place.  We also had the most penalty minutes in the division at 376.
With the win the playoff seeding is now set.  Our first playoff game will be on Monday April 3rd.  If we had not won the last regular season game we would have had to play on April 1st, and I was prepared to head home from Nordegg that morning.  But, with the victory we moved up to fourth place and our first playoff game was moved back a little in the wildcard round.  This allowed me to stay at Nordegg for an extra day, and get a little more work done, without having to rush home.
But, a playoff run was not in the cards for the Renegades... at least not this year.  We lost that first playoff game against the Showboats at Clareview arena.  With the loss we were eliminated from the Wildcard round and our season is over.
There will be more hockey coming up shortly.  The team plays in a tournament in Banff at the end of April, and then the summer hockey season gets underway at the beginning of May.

No comments: