Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Tim Horton's - Extra Large Print

This extra large print is the feature image and part of the installation going in at Tim Horton's in Drumheller.  This image was selected by the design team from all of the scans that I presented.  The print size is approx. 18" x 24" and the overall frame dimensions approx. 24" x 35".
This shot is an image of the Hoodoos with fresh snow.  I believe this dates back to the time before guard rails and viewing platforms were installed at the site... but I'm not sure.  In any event this image dates way back to November of 2011.  Unfortunately the design team selected this one as the feature image.  It is the only one in of all the scans that I sent to them, that was not taken with my large format camera.  I shot this on medium format roll film with my Hasselblad.
It stood up reasonably well to this high level of enlargement, but I had to raise my enlarger head right to the ceiling, and the largest image size I could get, with the enlarging lens that I have, was just under 24".  But it all worked out in the end, and looks pretty good...!
All of the images were printed in my darkroom over the past couple of weeks.  Mounting, matting and framing was wrapped up on March 22nd.
I quite enjoyed this project, but it was a lot of work.  I spent quite a bit of time going through my archives to locate scans that could be considered by the design team.  Then in July I brought a bunch of fossils home from the shop and photographed them with my studio lights.  In October I went down to East Coulee and took a bunch of shots of sculpts and models in the shop and in the gift shop.  Then all that film that I shot had to be developed.  More recently I spent almost the entire month of March preparing the prints.  I had a week off when I went out to Nordegg for a few days, but otherwise spent the rest of the month printing the images and then toning and washing them.  After that there was the flattening of the images, the mounting and matting, and assembly into the frames.  As much as I enjoyed the whole process I'm sort of glad now that it is all done, with the exception of delivery, and I can move on to other projects.



No comments: