Thursday, January 13, 2022

Back at it

On January 12th I headed back out to Nordegg.  This was a solo trip.  The cold snap recently came to an end, and daytime high temperatures were in the range of +4 to +7 on the drive out.  There is a lot less snow in Nordegg than there is in Edmonton, and what remains is melting significantly.  I wonder if I will ever get my snowmobiles out... first it was too cold and now its too warm...!!
I arrived at about 2:30 in the afternoon and quickly put my groceries away.  With the mild temperature and a couple hours of daylight remaining, I headed over to the guest cottage and put several coats of lacquer on some more of the aspen boards.  It is my intention to continue with that over the next couple of days until all of the boards that I brought out at Christmas time... about a hundred of them... are finished.  Then I will be ready to bring some helpers out to install the second half of the high ceiling.
While I was back in the city I ordered the light fixtures for the main area of the cottage.  They should be available in a couple of weeks.  It is my intention to install them while I still have the scaffold up.
Just before dark I emptied all of the ash out of the wood stove.  It was pretty full, as we had a fire burning almost continually for the two weeks that we were out over the holidays.  It took two five gallon pails full to pack it all away.
On Thursday the 13th I spent the entire day in the guest cottage working on finishing of the aspen boards.  It only dropped down slightly below freezing overnight.  I got a fire going at about 9:30AM and started working about an hour later.  I got four coats of lacquer put onto 40 boards.  This put a big dent into the project.  I will easily finish up over the next couple of days.




No comments: