Thursday, January 6, 2022

Little Reprieve

The cold stayed with us pretty much right through the holidays.  Back in the city conditions were about the same.  Hailey came back out on New Year's Eve with her Uncle Shawn.
I wasn't able to do any work in the guest cottage through most of the holiday week.  It was so cold that it just took too long to get the place up to working temperature and when I finally did, it was getting too dark to work.
On New Year's Day the temperature rose up to about -6.  It was really windy outside, and not very pleasant, but with the warmer temperature I was able to warm up the cottage.  I worked inside for most of the day and got a bunch more of the aspen boards lacquered.
On January 2nd it was sunny and warm and the temperature got up to near freezing.  I worked most of this day as well and got a bunch more boards finished.
Margarit and the girls decided to head back to the city on January 2nd.  Shawn and I stayed out for a little longer.  But that evening the wind really picked up, and the temperature dropped right off and overnight we found ourselves back down in the deep freeze.  It was not as cold as it had been, but -25C is a little too cold to do any work.  Shawn decided to head back to the city on the morning of January 3rd, and I found myself alone at the cottage for the first time in a long time.  Originally I planned to go home on the 4th, but the road reports indicated the highways were not in great condition.  Mostly I wanted to spend a day and do some housekeeping at the cottage, so it is not a mess whenever I'm able to return.  It only made it up to about -25C on the 4th.  It looked quite nice outside as it was clear and sunny and the light looked warm.  But the wind was brisk and it never really warmed up.



No comments: