Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Burnt Trunks in Infrared

This shot was taken on Kodak High Speed Infrared Film in 4x5 format.  I used to shoot this film a lot, and really liked it.  It was discontinued by Kodak back in the late 1990's.  I stocked up on a whole bunch of it, and had more given to me by some friends.  I still have a number of boxes left in my freezer.  By, the film is very susceptible to fogging, and used to be shipped by Kodak in dry ice.  The last that they produced had a best before date of 2001.
I have a bad habit of loading this film in film holders, and then not shooting and processing it promptly.  That has led to some badly fogged negatives that are unprintable.  In the future I will be more careful with my remaining stock and see if I can salvage some usable images.  This one was a little fogged around the edges, and I fixed up the digital file a little.  I think this would also be printable in the darkroom.
This shot was taken in October of 2021 out along the David Thompson Highway near Saskatchewan Crossing.  This burnt area is the Spreading Creek Burn.  I shot this with my Ebony 4x5 view camera and used a long focal length 300mm lens to compress the perspective.  The lens was fitted with a #25 Red Filter.  Development was in Kodak T-Max developer, 1:6, for 6:45 minutes at 22C.



No comments: