Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Day Trip to Nordegg

On November 6th my eldest daughter Hailey and I took a drive out to Nordegg.  It was a nice sunny day and we wanted to check on our property there before winter.  Mostly it was an opportunity to take down the trampoline that the girls used over the summer.  Once that was finished we headed over into town.  Nordegg was once a booming mining town with a much larger population than it has today.  The town itself probably only has about 40 buildings, though the subdivision north of town, where our lot is located, has many more.  There are a few old buildings in the original town site that I'd heard had been knocked down.  I was sort of kicking myself as on several occasions last summer I meant to go into town and photograph them, but didn't get around to it and thought I had missed my chance.  The rumors were false and the buildings remain so Hailey and I spent the afternoon poking around and making a few photographs.  We also stopped at the old historic cemetery and checked out all the old headstones from the coal mining days.  On the way out to Nordegg in the morning, and again on the way home in the evening, we saw a herd of wild horses near the highway.  This was not the same herd that we saw earlier in the summer as the colors were different.  Hailey and I stopped in Rocky Mountain House for something to eat and then made it back home to Edmonton after dark.  I took a couple of photographs with my view camera and once I develop the film, if anything turns out, they may end up posted here.  For now these snapshots were taken with my phone...



 

No comments: