Saturday, November 26, 2016

E-6 Processing

Over the last little while I've processed 55 sheets of large format, 4" x 5", color transparency film.  This included 30 sheets that I processed on November 19th, and an additional 25 sheets that I processed earlier today.  I don't shoot very much color film, so I end up saving it for a while, until I have a batch large enough to justify purchasing and mixing up the chemistry.  E-6 is the process that is used for this type of film.  It is getting harder and harder to find the chemistry.  The only kit that is available here in Canada is the Tetenal Colortek E-6 kit.  When I last purchased the chemistry, about a year ago, it was around $70 for a 1L kit.  This includes a 1st developer, color developer, bleach/fix, and a stabilizer, and is enough to process about 30 sheets.  The film isn't cheap either... at about $5 per sheet.  I guess this explains why I don't shoot it very often.
These current batches include images that were taken as long ago as late 2014, and as recently as a couple weeks ago.  The first batch is dried and complete and I'm just in the process of scanning them all.  The second batch is still drying...
Here's a little sample.  This is the first scan from the batch of November 19th.  This one was taken back in June, down in the Crowsnest Pass.  If you check out this link to my friend's Chris and Connie and their Off the Beaten Path website, you will see a photograph of me taking this photograph.  


I used my Ebony SV45TE 4" x 5" view camera with a Nikon 150mm lens and a color polarizing filter.  The film was Kodak Ektachrome E100G... from a batch that expired almost a decade ago, in December of 2006.

1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

This is fantastic! Such character. That yard was so much fun to shoot.