Sunday, October 11, 2015

Day Trip

Yesterday I went out for a drive...  I had noticed a couple of things that I wanted to photograph, on my way home from Provost the other day.  At that time the light was not coming from the right direction.  I headed back out to the southeast of Edmonton on Saturday morning.  The day was abnormally warm... probably near a record.  It got up to +25C, but it was very breezy and didn't feel quite as warm as the thermometer suggested.  It was a good thing that I went out when I did because overnight on Saturday a front pushed through, forewarned by the wind during the day.  It began to rain overnight and the temperature dropped right off.  This Sunday afternoon it is very blustery and windy and the temperature has only made it up to about +7C, so far...
We are hosting two Thanksgiving dinners at our house this weekend.  Today Margarit's family is coming over for turkey dinner.  After they leave tonight we will clean up, do the dishes, and then begin preparations for another turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Monday, this time for my side of the family.
I drove out to main street in the town of Holden.  There is an old pool hall that kind of fascinates me and early in the day the sun was on the façade.  The guy that owned it drove on up to see what I what I was doing.  I got the usual questions about surveying....  He was OK with me taking photographs though and told me that this was the oldest liquor store in the province, before it had been turned into a pool hall.  I guess back in the day it was a happening place and if you didn't get your name on the board early, you just didn't get a table.
On my way back into the city I stopped and checked out an old farm yard.  There wasn't much left of the buildings, and the house was overgrown by carraganas and pretty much empty.  But there was a really cool old windmill that was still in pretty good shape and I photographed that.







1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

Every town, big or small, it seems once had a pool hall. Nice shots!