Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Busy Days

This time of year is typically very slow in the skylight industry.  Just getting onto some roofs during winter months is a challenge that can prove impossible.  Even if we are able to get onto them often there is nothing that we can do in the way of repairs or installations with skylights.  I usually expect that I am going to have to "feed" my staff for the winter months so that we are available and ready in the spring when we can start working on some of our projects.  We are not busy by any means, but in consideration of the season, things are not too bad.  Particularly with the current climate of low oil prices and all the gloom and doom in the local economy.  
In the fall I put the update and refreshing of my corporate website on the backburner, thinking I would be better able to focus on it over the winter, when things are typically quite slow.  This past week or two has been a pleasant surprise.  I have numerous projects to bid on and to prepare proposals for.  It seems that as soon as I finish one and submit it, one or two more opportunities are presented to me.  I have had no time whatsoever to update my website, and my days are full.
This has carried over into my personal life as I have been putting in extra hours to keep up.  I have not been able to get into the darkroom much in recent days, and have a number of projects that I have just not had the energy to attack.  I guess this is a good thing because the alternative would not be very pallatable... particularly in light of the big kitchen renovation that Margarit and I are planning.  It's always a good thing when income is secure and there is no shortage of work.  Dinosaur Valley Studios down in Drumheller seems to be in a similar situation.
I am trying to find time to frame some of the prints that I have been working on in recent weeks.  I also have negatives that I'm anxious to process, including some of the test ones that I have been accummulating.  And, if we ever get back into a pattern of milder weather, I'd sure like to get out and do some shooting again.  It would sure be nice to retire and not have to waste so much time working, and have more time for all the things that really interest me!
This past weekend my younger brother turned 50...  Yikes, a not so gentle reminder of how old I am!!

No comments: