Sunday, February 22, 2015

Printing for Others

A friend of a friend recently asked me what I would charge to print some of his negatives for him. And of course I recently made the 16"x20" print for my friend Peter.  I didn't really mind doing it for Peter, but I don't want to get into the habit of printing for others.  After all, I owed Peter a favor for the zoom viewfinder that he recently gave me, and for some film he gave me several years ago.  But, I find it very challenging to print someone else's negative.  The manner in which I print my own negatives is a direct reflection of the way I feel about the subject.  I elaborated on this in some detail in a recent blog post.  My emotional response to the subject is what is brought out in the printing of the negative.  I have no direct personal emotion to call upon when I print someone else's work.  This makes it particularly challenging, and not particularly enjoyable.  My friend Peter was so happy with the print that I made for him that he is going to invest in the paper and the trays to print this size himself.  Seems I am off the hook as far as is concerned with respect to his stuff....   And, I will politely decline printing anything for anyone else.  I have an accumulated archive of well over 6000 4" x 5" negatives, the vast majority of which I have never printed.  This does not include my medium format or 35mm negatives.  Its not like I need something to do...!!

No comments: