Friday, September 17, 2021

Winter Hockey is Underway...!

On September 12th the Renegades played the first game of the AMHL [Alberta Mens Hockey League] Winter Season.  Its somewhat ironic that they still call it a men's league as our team has two women, and several other teams do as well.  We start the season in Division 6C, the 11th out of 14 divisions.  We are matched up with seven other teams to start.
Our first game was at Knights of Columbus Arena on the northside of the city, against a team called the Showboats.  We have played this team at least once before, but not recently.  We jumped out to an early lead and built on it and the score was 5-0 going into the third period.  The Showboats got two quick goals to make it a little closer, but then we punched in a couple more and wrapped things up with a 7-2 victory.  I am by far the oldest guy on my team, and probably the oldest in the league.  I play defense so I consider my game a success when I'm not on the ice for too many goals against.  This time around I was not on the ice for either of the two goals against, but was on the ice for four of the seven that we scored.  I don't know if I got any assists, and will have to wait for the official game sheet to be posted on line to find out.

No comments: