Monday, September 20, 2021

Construction Work Restarted

I just returned to the city after almost a week spent out in Nordegg.  It was a few days of nothing but work, but I got a lot accomplished.  My brother-in-law Shawn came out for a few days as well, to give me a hand.  
I stopped in Rocky Mountain House on my way out on the 14th and picked up a load of metal cladding at the Co-op.  This had been on order for a couple of weeks and recently arrived.  For the first two days Shawn and I worked at putting on the base flashing, the corners and then the corrugated panels.  This material was installed to the foundation, and some of it will be concealed once we backfill.  It is a bit of a nuisance to install anything to the ICF blocks of the foundation, as there are only certain points, at the struts, that there is anything to attach to.  And, with the waterproofing membrane in place you can't really tell where those points are.  But we managed to get everything attached without too much issue.  I wanted to get this done right away, before the windows arrive.  With this material in place the excavation can now be backfilled, which will make the rest of the work easier.  And, once the windows go in, then the crew can move right on to installation of the siding.
We also connected the ground plate and roughed in the ground cable.  This is best done now as otherwise we would have to dig everything up to put it in place later.
I had some insulation and a small load of lumber delivered on the 17th.  The lumber will be used for some interior framing.  This stuff was all safely stored away so that it is ready when needed.  I also figured out the position of our wood stove, and marked the location of the chimney.  The roof can be cut out and the chimney installed once those materials arrive.  I'm also still waiting for electrical supplies and hope those arrive soon.
I cut up some plywood that was left over from the floor sheathing and made a door for the floor hatch, and mounted a piece on the basement wall to which the electrical panel will be attached.  I brought out a new chopsaw that I recently bought and set that up too.  While I was out there with it I used it to cut up a bunch of picture frame stock for my upcoming gallery show.
It was a very busy week and Shawn and I worked all day, every day.  We barely left the property, and never even got out for an ATV ride.  But it was a lot of fun, and very satisfying to accomplish something.  Now that materials are beginning to arrive I look forward to work getting back on track and the place getting closed in before winter.











No comments: