Sunday, March 29, 2020

Work and Chores

This past week I've been here in the city, going to work every day.  Despite the fact that many businesses are shut down, we are busy building protective screens for grocery stores, pharmacies, and other retail establishments.  This puts me somewhat at risk of contracting the COVID-19 virus.  In light of that, and in consideration of the fact that Helena has a heart condition, the girls headed out to Nordegg and are isolating at the cottage.
My days consist of getting up, having a shower and heading in to work for around 8:00AM.  I work through the day and usually manage to check out and head home by 6:30 or 7:00.  Then I make something to eat, try to do a few chores around the house, and then go to bed to start over again the next day.  These past couple of nights I have been trying to catch up on all the dirty dishes that my lazy daughters left lying around the house.  I've also done some laundry for myself.
Tonight I decided to wash my hockey gear.  I've always maintained that it is unlucky to wash hockey gear mid-season.  I somehow missed the opportunity last season and never did get around to washing my gear.  I'm not sure exactly how long I've been wearing it, but its getting pretty crusty, and would probably stand up on its own.  With the winter regular season over, and the playoffs indefinitely postponed, I thought is was a good opportunity for a wash, without any risk of jinxing myself.  I was too afraid to check the color of the wash water coming out of the machine.  But, once this stuff comes out of the dryer I'll be good to go for some time to come.  I'm doubtful that the winter playoffs will happen and the upcoming summer season is already rumored to be postponed... or possibly cancelled.
This global pandemic is really serious and we have to do our part to control it.  I have a total of a nine staff working in a very large shop of nearly 14,000 square feet.  We do not work in close proximity to each other, and only a handful of customers come around every day.  Those customers seem to be very respectful and keep a safe distance as they pick up product.  With regular hand washing and some level of respect, I think we will all be OK.
The girls will mostly remain out at the cottage and try to avoid getting sick.  Once this rush of work wraps up at the shop, if things haven't settled down, then I will isolate myself for a bit before we get back together.  From there we will just have to be cautious and see how things go.
Sure missing hockey though.... and can't wait to get back out on the ice... hopefully soon...!



No comments: