Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ilford SFX 200

I've been dabbling a little with this film over the last couple of years.  Unfortunately it is not made in sheet formats, only medium and small format roll films.  This film is advertised as having extended red sensitivity.  I think this is an accurate description.... as it is not a true infrared film... but it is very close.  I expose it through a #89B infrared filter.  This filter is virtually opaque and you can't really see through it, unless you hold it up to a bright light source.  Here is a picture of the filter that I use, and a shot of it held up to my desk lamp....



In general, infrared films render skies as a dark black, water very dark as well, and living vegetation often yields a white glow.  When this film is exposed through this filter, it very much has the look of infrared film, with an increase in grain.  I quite like the look that I acheived with a few recently processed frames.  When a filter this opaque is used, it is obvious that what is getting through and exposing the film is wavelengths mostly beyond what the human I can see.  This batch includes a panoramic shot from last year, as well as a recent shot of an old house from one of the December day trips.  In particular, the shot of the tide pools out on Vancouver Island, shot back in the spring of 2013, is intriguing...  Notice that the seaweed on the rocks glows quite white on the rocks, contrasted nicely by the dark water and dark sky.  Notice that the starfish down on the foreground rocks is also glowing.  I need to spend a little more time shooting this film and getting familiar with it...







No comments: