Saturday, December 13, 2014

Film Processing

Since late November I have been devoting most of my time towards processing my backlog of film.  I have processed 100 sheets of large format 4" x 5" film, and nearly 30 rolls of medium format and 35mm film.  With the most recent batch this afternoon, I now have all of my large format negatives from 2012 processed.  The roll film that I have been catching up on dates back to 2010, but I now have most of the old stuff done.  
Last weekend Margarit and I had planned on going out shooting with Tanja from The Monochrome Guild.  But, Margarit had a bad cold and ended up staying home, so only Tanja and I went out.  The temperature never even got near the forecast high, and we were faced with a day of -8 to -10C, and a bit of a windchill.  We both shot a bit with our medium format cameras... mostly some old building and trees in Elk Island and up in Lamont County.  Recently I have had a renewed interest in medium format and intend to shoot more regularly with my Hasselblad.  It is much faster and easier to set up as compared to a view camera.  I want to get in the habit of taking my Hasselblad and my 4"x5" view camera with me whenever possible.  The goal is to initially shoot medium format and make a number of exposures on roll film.... Then, anything that is of particular intersest and worthy of the time required to set up the big camera, can also be explored with the 4"x5".  Obviously when I am out hking I will have to choose one or the other... But on day trips when I am driving around, and generally shooting close to the road, I want to get in the habit of bringing both.
I recently processed some medium format roll film.  Most of this stuff dates back to the weekend that Margarit and I spent out on Vancouver Island in May of 2013.  There are also a couple of shots from the Jasper family weekend in the spring of 2010.  The last shot is of some aspen trunks, crusted with hoar frost, taken just last weekend while Tanja and I were out on that day trip.  All of these were shot on either the now defunct Agfa APX 25, or the more-or-less equivalent Efke PL25.  Unfortunately the Efke material has also been recently discontinued, so I'm not sure what I will fall back on once my current inventory is depleted.
With all the film that I have recently processed there will be a lot of new images that I can post and share here on my blog in the coming days.  Please stay tuned...











No comments: