Monday, December 22, 2014

December Day Trips

Twice in recent weeks I have headed out on Saturday day trips.  I wanted to try out the new 150-600mm Tamron zoom lens that I recently bought for my digital camera.  I also wanted to make a point of doing more shooting with my medium format Hasselblad system.  Both times I packed up a selection of gear that included my Nikon 810 digital camera and lenes, my Hasselblad kit with a body and various packs and lenses, and my trusty old 4"x5" view camera.

On December 6th I headed out.  Margarit was planning on coming along, as was Tanja from the Monochrome Guild.  But, Margarit felt really sick, so just Tanja and I headed out.  We passed through Elk Island Park and then on into Lamont County.  Once again I saw a coyote... actually three this time, in the same part of the park.  This was the very spot where we had previously witnessed the very tame coyote at the side of the road with a group of photographers.  This time there was a dead moose in the ditch and the coyotes, along with a collection of ravens and magpies, were feeding.
We stopped in a number of spots up in Lamont County to check out a few old buildings and to make a few photographs.  I shot mostly with my digital, and a little bit with the Hasselblad, but the 4x5 never made it out of the truck...








Then this past Saturday, December 20th, I headed out into the same area again.  This time Mark from the Monochrome Guild came along with me.  We did see a coyote in the very same spot in Elk Island again, but by now, two weeks later, the moose carcass was gone.  The last five times I have passed through Elk Island National Park I have seen one or more coyotes in this same spot.   
It had been very foggy in the area northeast of Edmonton for a couple of days prior to our trip.  It was clear and sunny when we headed out but there was a beautiful hoarfrost all over everything.  The temperature was forecast to get up about freezing, and I think it did back in the city, but out where we were it never got above -10C.  But we enjoyed the day and did quite a bit of shooting.  This time around I shot with my digital, with my Hasselblad, and also with my 4x5.  We tried to find an old house that I had shot at about 7 years ago, as I knew there was some cool interior shots to try there.  I had the GPS coordinates with me and we drove around and eventually found the right spot.  But, like so many others, the house was gone...
But there was another interesting old house just a couple miles up the road and we spent a couple of hours shooting there...







This is a shot from 2007 of that now non-existent house that I was hoping to find.  I guess I should have a look back at the other negatives that I shot that afternoon seven years ago and see if there is something that I should work with...


No comments: