Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Ilford HP5

With my recent push to get into the darkroom and process my backlog of exposed film, I made time a couple of weeks ago to process a batch of Ilford HP5+ 4" x 5".  I'm not sure why I started shooting this film... just a couple of years ago.  I already shoot more different types of film than I should.  I guess I would argue that so many manufacturers are going out of business, and with Kodak in bankruptcy, I need to support the one manufacturer that is showing some longevity and dedication to black and white.  Ilford emerged from bankruptcy several years ago and seems to be going strong.  I shoot with their Delta 100 material quite a bit, and occasionally with FP4+, but not a lot with their faster 400ISO HP5+ material.  I decided to experiment with it a couple of years ago, and this is my continuation of attempting to refine and fine tune my exposure and processing.  This batch was processed in Ilfotec HC developer, which I believe to be very similar, if not identical to Kodak's HC-110.  I'm generally happy with this selection of images and will continue to work with this material in the future.

These two images were taken at Medicine Lake in Jasper National Park during the Fall Photo Weekend with the Monochrome Guild.  But these two were not from this year's trip... rather they were taken two years ago in November of 2012.




These three images were taken down south on various trips to and from Saskatchewan.  The first was taken near Medicine Hat, on my way home from a business trip to Estevan, in February of 2013.

The second is of a bunch of old abandoned trucks in southern Saskatchewan.  This is identical to an image I posted a short time ago, only this one, due to the use of a much faster film, shows no motion of the wind in the trees and grasses, as did the previous one.

The third image is of the badlands in Dinosaur Provincial Park.  This was taken on a very wet and rainy June day in 2013.  These last two were both taken on my way home from dropping off the Procession West prints at the Art Gallery of Regina.




Finally, these last two were taken down in southern Alberta on the May Long Weekend in 2013.



No comments: