Saturday, November 13, 2010

Quiet Rooms - Mountain Waters

Back in late September the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute put out a call for submissions for their “Quiet Rooms” project.  The world class Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute [MAHI] opened its doors to the public in 2009.  Heart patients across Alberta and western Canada immediately began to benefit from its state of the art equipment and technology.  Art for the MAHI: Quiet Rooms is a juried project that will result in the installation of fresh, unique and uplifting artwork in each of the eight quiet rooms situated near intense patient care areas.  The purpose of the quiet rooms is to provide family and friends with a private place in which to reflect, relax, console and debrief on the issues at hand.  The submission deadline was this afternoon at 4:00PM.  I submitted two selections of my work. 

My first submission was…

Mountain Waters
Every year I find myself drawn to the mountains.  In my retreat I find solace in the natural world.  Inevitably I am drawn to water.  Rushing mountains streams, placid lakes and ponds and the seasonal surrender of water into ice all have a calming effect upon my soul.  I never tire of my time spent attempting to capture this emotion in my images.  Every year as autumn gives way to winter I can not help but feel a little depressed at the disappearance of the waters and the transformation into ice and snow.  At the end of winter, as the sun returns, the days lengthen, and the temperature rises I am refreshed and revitalized by the return of the waters.  My mood becomes euphoric as I find subject matter and images all around me, all with water as the main focal point.  Many of my images attempt to capture these emotions, and over the years I find that a large portion of the negatives in my archive focus on water in its various moods.







No comments: