Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ice Bloom 2010



Every year when the North Saskatchewan River starts to freeze up we experience the Ice Bloom.  Large ice pads form in the river and drift along with the current.  Eventually they jam up and the river freezes over.  This phenomenon usually only lasts for a couple of weeks each fall.  I have attempted to photograph this spectacle many times in the past, with limited success.  Every year I have great intentions of trying again, from new vantage points, and with new techniques.  This year was no exception.  In mid November I witnessed the ice bloom starting to form.  It would have been at it's peak about a week ago, but then the temperature plummeted.  It was just too cold to try and get out and capture it with my big cameras.  This weekend the forecast was ideal, with daytime highs forecast to be just on the plus side of the freezing mark.  I headed out on Saturday morning, my head full of all the different ideas that I had in mind.  I arrived down at the river and much to my dismay the bloom was over.  The river had frozen over completely.  I guess I will have to wait until next year and try again.

No comments: