Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Not Long for this World

In early August my friend and colleague Arturo and I went out for a drive, looking for subject matter to photograph for our Apparitions project.  We returned to an old house that I had photographed a couple of times previously... most recently about seven years ago, in late 2016.  I was amazed at how overgrown the house has become.  
We used to call this place the "Intact House" because it was full of stuff.  A lot of the stuff still remains, but the house is badly deteriorated.  Much of what remains of the belongings has been gone through, with some of it looted.  Even back in the day, around 2015 or 2016, someone stole the railing from around the stairwell.  The floors in the house are now on the verge of collapsing, and the porch is coming down.  A couple more winters and this once majestic old house will become a pile of rubble.
It was interesting to visit again all the same, and I did take a couple of photographs with my view camera.
The black and white photographs below are from scans of 4x5 negatives that were exposed back in 2016.  The color snapshots are phone shots that I took during the recent visit.

















No comments: