Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Another Round at the Historic Nordegg Golf Course

On the afternoon of Wednesday August 30th, after Margarit had returned to the city, I played another round of golf at the Historic course in Nordegg.  It was really smokey on this day, and you could just see the layers of smoke blowing in with the wind in the morning.  By afternoon it was just a general haze that enveloped everything.
There was one group starting at the same time as me.  It was a father with two very young sons.  I let them go ahead of me as they were using a cart, and I wanted to take my time.  I played two balls, so that I could play the equivalent of 18 holes, but only walk the course once.  There was no one behind me on the course so I could really take my time.  By the time I was finishing the 9th hole, there were a couple of parties starting out on the first holes.
Once again, I took a backwards step from my previous score.  This time around I shot a 54 with one ball, and a 47 with the other.  I suppose it is small consolation in that if I count the best score of each hole, regardless of the ball, I shot a 43.
This time around I found that my tee shots were OK, but not great.  Distance wise they were pretty good for the most part, but I obviously lack some control.  My fairway shots were terrible, but my chipping is improving.  Putting still has a long way to go.  By the time I improve a little more, the season will be winding down and I'll have to put the clubs away until next year.
Mostly I've played solo this year and I quite enjoy the relaxed pace of play when the course is not busy.  I hope to play one more time before I have to return to the city.






No comments: