Thursday, January 16, 2020

Deep Freeze

Its probably a good thing I didn't attempt to go to Nordegg last weekend.  On Monday evening after work, my truck died.  I had to boost it with one of the shop trucks to get it started.  I let it run for over an hour to allow the alternator to charge the battery up again.  It turned bitterly cold on Monday and since then we have been in a deep freeze.  Daytime high tempertures have been in the range of about -35C, and at night it has dropped down to near -40C.  On Tuesday morning my truck again wouldn't start, despite the block heater being plugged in all night. 
A couple of the guys from the shop didn't have much to do so they volunteered to go and boost my truck and bring it back to the shop.  So they did, but the truck would not go into gear.  The transmission seemed to be frozen.  Eventually after running it for a while the guys were able to start the truck in gear, with the clutch depressed.  This allowed it to be driven to the shop... in third gear all the way.  It stayed inside the shop all day.  The guys installed two new batteries for me as the ones that had been giving me problems were the original ones in this 2012 model year.  By the end of the day, despite being thawed out, it still would not go into gear.  I've made an appointment to take it in to the shop for service so this can be resolved.  I had to miss a guitar lesson Monday and a hockey game Tuesday due to these vehicle issues.
Out in Nordegg it has been even colder still.... -40C and lower.  Propane gels at -42C and will not vaporize.  I wonder how many residents are having issues with their furnaces going out...?  My decision to use forced air electric heat as our main heat source is looking like a really good idea.  If the power goes out we're all hooped, even the propane users, but at least electricity doesn't gel.  I've been monitoring the internet thermostat at the cottage and the inside temperature is being maintained at +13C.  I'm sure the power bill will be a big one this month, but at least we won't have any issues with frozen plumbing and the like.  As soon as this cold snap comes to an end, and my vehicle issues are resolved, I'll head out there and check on things.  The forecast is calling for the frigid temperatures to remain for at least a couple more days. 
These are just air temperatures and do not take into account the effects of wind chill.  Fortunately there has been very little wind these past few days.  But even the light breeze we've had makes it feel like -45C and colder.
By Thursday morning it felt like a heat wave as it was only -28C.  I managed to drive the truck over to the service center yesterday.  The clutch is damaged as it does not disengage the engine from the transmission.  I had to make sure no one was behind me when I started the truck as it lurches into motion when the starter turns the engine over.  I managed to limp it over to the service shop without too much issue and they are now in the process of replacing the clutch.
This image was taken out the front window of my office on Wednesday evening.  The temperature was about -36C at the time and I was waiting for Margarit to pick me up and give me a ride home.  Had to miss my Bluegrass Club meeting that night as it was just too difficult to get to without a functional vehicle.

 

No comments: