Sunday, September 8, 2019

More on Radon Gas

I did a little digging on the internet.  Far be it from me to consider the internet the gospel in terms of completely reliable information.  But it seems my suspicions were correct.  I could not locate any concise statistics on the leading causes of lung cancer.  But many websites including the Cancer Society, the Lung Association and some government sites are all in general agreement.  The leading cause of lung cancer is far and away smoking.  Some sites claim that 90% of lung cancer cases in men, and 70% in women are as a result of smoking.  The second leading cause is actually second hand smoke, though I couldn't find any firm numbers on this.  Technically this is still smoking I suppose, so the second leading cause is actually the third and this is Radon gas, followed by asbestos exposure.  So Radon exposure is a concern but I think there may be a little fear mongering involved.  Not sure if that is from the point of view of government authorities not wanting to be responsible for inaction, or if it is on the part of the remediation companies that want to sell their products and services.  Perhaps a little of both...?  I will continue to monitor at my cottage but will probably not take any action beyond some very general ventilation that can be turned on as needed.  Eventually I will also check radon levels at my home in Edmonton.  The western sedimentary basin of the Canadian prairies is supposed to be at elevated risk of radon gas reaching dangerous levels.  So it is not just for those built on rock to be aware of.....

No comments: