Thursday, April 25, 2019

Fake Stone

Last weekend when I was out at Nordegg I started working on the exterior of the cottage.  There is about 2 feet of the ICF foundation that is exposed above grade.  These are foam insulated blocks that are steel reinforced and then filled with concrete to create the foundation of the building.  An adhesive membrane is bonded onto the exterior to create a water seal.  The exposed portion needs to be covered with something to protect and finish it.  I chose to use some artificial stone veneer.  These are cast foam panels that are molded and painted to look like rock.  The interlocking panels are screwed into position.  I used a black sheet metal flashing tucked under the lower edge of the siding, and then started installing this fake rock below that.  Its finally warmed up and dried off enough out there that I can start doing this.  I only had a few of the panels out there so I could only start on the southeast corner of the building.  Next time I go out there I'll take more material with me so that I can continue.  As soon as the panels are installed beyond the entrance, then I can backfill around it, finish up the grade, and start building our landing and steps.  For the past year and a half we have been using a small step ladder to get in and out of the house.  That will soon come to an end...!



No comments: