Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Shed

In June of 2012 I started building a shed.  We have limited space in our small yard so I designed a long narrow lean-to that could fit in the limited space along side of our house.  I built a base out of treated timbers, and a subfloor of 3/4" plywood.  Then I started building the tall wall.  At that point I was interupted and my limited ambitions were re-directed onto another project.  Margarit decided that she wanted to replace all the old carpet and lino in our kitchen, living room, dining room and hallway, with laminate flooring.  This was a rather extensive renovation that included demolition of a short section of wall, removal of a shelf unit, some drywall repairs, re-texturing the ceiling, and the installation of subfloor.  Margarit had a flooring contractor hired to install the laminate, and a handyman to demolish the wall and re-route some electrical wiring, but she didn't initially realize that all the rest of the work had to be done before the floor installation could start.  There was a set deadline and I was pulled off the shed project and put to work on the other renovations.  Most of this work was done while the girls stayed out a Pigeon Lake for a few days in July with their cousins.  The renovation dragged on for a couple months due to some back ordered materials and some issues with our new fridge fitting into the space that we had for it in our kitchen.  By early fall most of this stuff was resolved and I was attempting to put some baseboards on.  While I was doing that I put the girls to work doing some painting for me on the shed, that I had started several months earlier.  By mid October it snowed and winter settled in to stay, and the shed project was put on hold.
In early 2013 we decided to undertake a major exterior renovation on our home.  We replaced our old windows and doors, added exterior and attic insulation, and installed new siding, soffit, fasica and eavestroughs.  The change from slider windows to casements meant that the started shed was too high for the adjacent window to open properly, this would prompt modifications and a minor re-design.  By early summer most of the exterior renovations were done, and the last item, new shingles, were installed in May.  I decided to purchase some extra matching siding and shingles, for the shed.  All this time our neighbor had been complaining to Margarit about how ugly the shed was and that she couldn't stand looking at it outside her dining room window.
So this fall I finally got back to the shed contruction project and have put a big push on to get it finished this year.  Following the re-design I framed and sheeted the shed, installed shingles and skylights, and then put on all the siding and trim.  I finally finished up most of the work this weekend.  The only thing remaining to do now is to put a door on it.  It will be really nice to clear up some space in our garage and actually use this shed now.  Bikes, patio furniture and all of our summer stuff will be stored in the shed in winter.  In the summer time we will move all the toboggans, snow shovels and winter stuff into the shed.  Hopefully the neighbor will get off our case now.  I don't see what the big deal is... it only took 17 months... and I'm almost done now...


No comments: