Thursday, August 4, 2022

The Never Ending Story......

Hailey and I travelled out to Nordegg on Friday July 29th.  For the past week or so there has been a wildfire burning just west of our cottage.  The Black Mountain Fire was initially out of control, but in recent days is classed as being held.  It was helpful that winds were mostly out of the east, and that we had some off and on showers.  In fact it rained heavily between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg as Hailey and I drove out on Friday.  The fire grew to nearly 500 hectares before the crews were able to hold it.  While we were out at the cottage we heard and saw a lot of helicopters going back and forth but surprisingly there was no smoke.  There is more rain in the forecast so hopefully in the coming days the fire is brought under control, and eventually extinguished.  It is burning near the Crescent Falls Road, just west of Dry Haven Creek, which is about 18km away from our cottage.
I brought yet another load of more aspen boards out to the cottage with us.  This time I brought about 40, and my last five gallon pail of lacquer.  On Saturday morning I unloaded all the boards and packed them into the cottage.  Then I decided to do a little yard work.  I sprayed a bunch of weeds that have been growing through the driveway, and used my big string trimmer to cut down the tall grass around the edge of the cottage site.  After that I set to work finishing yet more of the aspen boards.
On Sunday I went back to work in the guest cottage.  I continued with finishing of the boards, and started installing some to the wall in the west bedroom.  I left an empty can of Kokanee beer inside the wall.  Someday if the cottage is ever demolished or renovated, someone will find it and perhaps be reminded of me.  I also connected the electrical receptacle as I finished the wall.  Soon I will be able to energize the circuit in the west bedroom.
While I was working a big four point buck in full velvet laid down in the shade about 50 feet away from the cottage.  He got a little nervous when I came to the door and watched him, and eventually wandered away.






No comments: