Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Rockola GP160

My brother-in-law Shawn found this old Rockola Juke Box at a garage sale.  We went together and had a look at it.  Then I talked to my friend Chris.  Chris is close friends with a guy that is the western Canadian expert on old pinball machines and jukeboxes.  He figured that this one could probably be made functiional, and that a fair price to buy it for is $200.
The seller was asking $300 and paid $250 for it about 15 years ago.  He was reluctantly willing to accept $200 for it.  So, Shawn and I went back up to his place the next day and picked it up.  I've put it into storage for now, and will get to work on restoring it when I can connect with Chris's friend.  
It is a Rock-ola GP 160 and it plays 45rpm singles, and has a tube amplifier.  It has a capacity of 80 records, and there are about 60 in it.  It works mechanically, but the tone arm is missing the needle.  And the glass is broken on top.  It will take quite a bit of work to get it up and running properly, but I thought it was worth gambling 200 bucks on.  If it can be restored, I hope to put it in the guest cottage, which is being decorated in 1950's decore.




No comments: