Thursday, July 7, 2022

Alexo

I had permission to explore the Alexo area.  This is now the site of a youth camp, but once was an active coal mine, not far from Nordegg.  Originally Chris and Connie were supposed to join me, but the timing didn't work out so it ended up a solo trip.
The weather has been really unsettled this spring in the front ranges.  We got over 150mm in rain in the month of June.  I tried to choose what was supposed to be the best weather day.  Skies were mixed and there were some sunny breaks, but I also got rained on a couple of times.
The site was much more heavily treed than I expected.  The bush was very dense and you couldn't see more than 20 feet or so into it.  It was also very rugged and cut by a number of very deep and steep ravines.  With all the rain lately, all of these ravines were running with water.
I parked my truck on the Alexo property and hiked down to the abandoned rail line below.  Down here I found the foundation of the tipple that once served the mine, some old rails and ties from the rail line, an old shed, and the Alexo Cemetery.  All of these are on or beyond the property line of the Camp and are accessible from an ATV trail.  The right of way where the tram once ran is on camp property, but I found nothing remaining.  Back in the day coal was carried by this tram from the mine entrance down to the tipple on the rail line.
The scenery was beautiful and there were many wildflowers in bloom.  I ended up taking quite a few photographs, just not much that was directly related to the mine.  But it was a most enjoyable day and perhaps some day I'll ask permission again and carry out further exploring.















No comments: