Saturday, July 9, 2022

Monday

The girls decided to head back home to the city on Sunday evening.  They joined that exodus of people heading out of the mountains after the long weekend.  I understand that the traffic wasn't too bad... I guess because the volume was spread out over a day and half, with some people already starting to head home on Saturday.
I decided to stay for an extra day and tackle a couple projects in the guest cottage.  I woke up at first light on Monday, around 5:30AM.  I laid around for a little while, but not long and was quickly up for a shower and breakfast.  It was pretty cool outside, with a temperature of only +8C.  It was overcast, foggy, drizzly and threatening to rain.  I was a good day to buckle down and get to work.
I ended up putting in about ten hours in the guest cottage.  My first job was to finish applying lacquer to all the aspen boards I had brought out.  By luck I had just enough lacquer to finish the boards that I had.  There was only a splash left when I put the last of five coats on the boards.  I do one light seal coat on the back of the boards, then a light coat on the good side.  That first coat gets a light sand to knock off the wood fibers that are raised by the first coat.  Then, I give three more coats to put a heavy layer of finish on the wood.
With it being so cool and damp I had to get a fire going in the wood stove in the guest cottage to get the chill out.  This also helped to dry the lacquer a little faster.  I'm using a water-based lacquer, which is much slower drying than the typical solvent based finish.  The next time I come out I will bring more boards... I have around 100 left in storage... and my last five gallon pail of lacquer.
Once the fire was going I cleaned up the mess around the wood stove.  There was all sorts of kindling and firewood that had just been dumped there, and now I needed it out of the way.  I swept and vacuumed the floor in the bathroom and extending out to the woodstove.  
Then I turned my attention to assembling and installing the shower enclosure that I brought out some time ago.  We have a trap door down into the crawl space in the middle of the bathroom.  This really limited the size of the shower stall that I can put in.  The only option was to use a small 32" x 32" shower with a corner entry door.  I didn't like the way the manufacturer recommended installing the unit so I changed things up a little.  I think this well make for a better and more watertight installation.  I bonded the plastic panels and the molded corner section to the walls.  Then I installed the aluminum frames on top of the edge of the panels, instead of beside them.  The adhesive has to cure for at least 12 hours, so next time I come out I will bring some caulking to seal all the joints and complete the install.
Once that was done I cut and fitted a couple of pieces of subfloor to fit in the bathroom.  I got this all glued down and screwed into place and the cutout done for the heat register.
Then I moved on to the wall paneling.  I installed the paneling to the fourth wall to complete the bathroom.  This one was a little slower as there were a couple of electrical boxes to fit around.  I also installed the trim around the top where the walls meet the ceiling. 
With this complete I am now finished all I can do in the bathroom for the time being.  I will move on to the other rooms in the cottage and then come back to the bathroom once I can start the flooring.
It felt good to get so much work done and as tired as I was by the end of the day, I felt a sense of accomplishment.  I had been a bit nervous and was avoiding that shower, because I didn't like the recommended installation.  The way I put it together seemed to work well... and I think better.







No comments: