Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Extended Stay

Originally it was my plan to head back to the city on Valentines Day.  But, the construction crew showed up in the morning.  They had a trailer load of soffit, fascia and trim board.  They also brought over a manlift.  They said they were planning to spend the week at my place, finishing up as much of the exterior as possible.
I decided to stick around for a little longer.  Mostly I wanted to make sure that the crew didn't have any issues with power.  If the breaker in the house tripped, they would be without power and unable to work.  So I wanted to make sure there were no issues with that.  I also gave them a hand for a bit.
They got quite a bit done on the first day.  Dave and Steve managed to put up the sofffit and fascia on the west side and the north end.  Then they continued with some trim around some of the windows, and started on the shingle style siding to the north gable end.  In order to do that, they had to load up all the left over materials that had been stored beside my driveway at our existing cottage, and bring it over to the guest cottage.
The day was cooler, and it only got up to a degree or so above freezing.  That was good as it prevented things from getting really muddy.  As we were winding things down at the end of the day, it really cooled off.  By dark the temperature had dropped to -3 and it was starting to snow.
While the guys were working outside, I puttered around a little more inside the guest cottage.  I strung wire to all the lights and receptacles down in the crawlspace and got that circuit pretty much finished.  I also put a final coat of lacquer on some of the trim that I had been working on.  And I went through a bunch of my electrical materials to make sure that I have everything ready for installation of the meter base.
As a result of my decision to stay longer I will miss a hockey game on Monday evening, and a ball hockey game on Tuesday morning.  But I didn't want to do anything to discourage the construction work that is finally getting underway.





No comments: