Monday, June 6, 2016

Southeast Day Trip

Wow... Am I behind on my blog posts...!!  On April 16th, a day in advance of my 53rd birthday, I headed out for a solo day trip.  It was not that I really had any plans to be alone... just that no one was able to join me on this day, for various reasons.  I headed out to the southeast of the city.  My first stop was at the old Kingman grain elevator, relocated to a private yard some distance from its original location.  As I continued on I came across an abandoned old house down in Camrose County.  I call this one the Dormer House for obvious reasons.  There are two dormers on three of the four sides of this old residence.  Not quite sure why the fourth side lost out.  Inside, there is pretty much nothing left of the place.  The skeleton of an old sofa and the carcass of a dead coyote were all that I found.  
I continued on further south and eventually came upon the badlands of the Battle River.  These badlands more or less begin at the intersection of Camrose, Stettler, Flagstaff and Paintearth Counties and continue on to the southeast along the Battle River Valley.  On this day I saw a lot of deer, and a number of cool old houses.  One of these was spectacular, but on private land, posted no trespassing.  I will need to try and get permission to return to this one on another day.  Eventually I found an old scrap heap out in a field beside a dugout.  This pile contained the remnants of some old farm machinery, as well as the carcasses of two old cars.  Not quite sure what these are as the only nameplate that I could find was the rather vague one in my photo... Special Deluxe.  Nearby I found an old windmill beside a granary that was rather photogenic, particularly in light of the cloudy spring sky.  Finally I made my way over to a large catholic church that I had previously found out about.  After that it was a rather uneventful drive back home to the city with one brief stop to admire a large flock of snow geese resting on a small dugout.

















No comments: