Sunday, February 4, 2018

Still Life Photography

With the recent spell of cold weather it has not really been an option to venture outdoors for any photography.  At least I haven't felt motivated to do so.  But I'm anxious to have some new film to process and some new images to work with.  The other day I was in the grocery store and saw some nice bosc pears.  They seemed to have some character with their slightly irregular shape and their long curving stems.  So, I bought three of them and took them home with the intention of photographing them.  I've had them for a few days now and if I waited too much longer they would have become over ripe.  Last week I set up and photographed them.  I cleared a section of our kitchen table, set up a background stand, and put up a white paper backdrop.  I set up one studio light and a reflector.  I didn't bother with a softbox or an umbrella as I wanted some more direct light to provide some distinct shadows.  I took several shots with my 4x5 view camera.  This included a few on typical black and white film... I used Ilford Delta 100, Kodak Tri-X Pan and Foma Retro 320 soft.  I also took a couple shots on some of my last remaining Polaroid 55, as well as a couple of color negatives.  Then I switched to my big 8x10 view camera and shot a few more larger negatives.  These I will use for some alternative process work, if the images turn out.  I've included a couple of snapshots below of the set up, and the subject.





No comments: