Saturday, February 17, 2018

Back to Tamarack Trail

On Friday I took most of the day off work and took a drive out to Nordegg.  I was in the office for an hour and a half in the morning, and then left with Al from Rolltec Rollshutter Manufacturing.  We took a drive out to the cottage in Nordegg to measure all the windows and doors for Rollshutters.  Al will be manufacturing these for us, and later when the drywall is done, he will bring them out and install them.
Rollshutters mount on the exterior of the building and include a box at the top of each window or door, and rails down either side.  The "curtain" consists of interlocking foam-filled aluminum sections that roll up into the box when opened, and down over the window or door when closed.  This serves several purposes.  It provides security when we are not out there as the shutters lock in the closed position.  It also provides protection from wind and storm damage, and to a certain degree from fire.  They will double the insulation value of the windows and help to retain heat during winter.  And in the summer they will block excess heat gain.
Al and I had a lengthy conversation during the three hour drive to and from Nordegg, as well as during a lunch stop.  I enjoyed it and trust that we will get good value for the money spent.
It was a relatively mild day compared to our recent weather.  I think the temperature peaked at about -7C in the afternoon.  There is a lot of snow out there now, and it was snowing heavily as we finished up measuring.  We saw one herd of wild horses along the highway, but other than that it was pretty uneventful.  This was my first trip out there since before Christmas and things have changed quite a bit in the two months I've been away.
The cottage is essentially finished on the exterior now.  The propane tank has been delivered and set beside our driveway.  The eavestroughs and downpipes have been installed.  I dropped off the two skylights while we were out there.  Scott of Shunda Creek Contracting will install these for me when he uses his boom lift to go up on the roof and cut in our chimney and plumbing vent.  These are the last couple items remaining to be looked after.  I'm expecting Scott to send me his final invoice any day now so that we can settle our account with him.  From here on in it is up to me....
We made it back into the city shortly after 5:00PM and I spent a little time in the office catching up on a few loose ends before the long weekend.
Electrical rough in will be the next major project.  I hope to get out there in a few weeks with my electrician friend Rob to look after that.  Once that is complete I will get it inspected by the permit agency, and then proceed with insulation and vapor barrier.  Once everything is insulated, the drywall crew will get started.  Once drywall is complete, the roll shutters can be installed.  Then we will continue with the interior finishing....
In between all that I am spending most of the recent cold weather days working at constructing cabinets and other items for the cottage.





No comments: