Friday, June 18, 2021

Seven Days in Nordegg

I headed out to Nordegg, by myself, on June 10th.  The septic tank was just being placed in the excavation at our property next door, when I arrived.
On Friday June 11th, my brother-in-law Shawn arrived in the early afternoon.  We had a couple of beers together and relaxed and caught up.  Later that evening Margarit and Anna arrived with our dog Quinn.  We all hung out together over the weekend.  The weather was pretty nice and we went out for some ATV rides, and puttered on a few things around the cottage.  I painted the two entrance doors with a yellow paint, on the interior and exterior.  A proper wash with TSP and then two coats of paint should provide a durable surface for some time to come.  I think it looks pretty good against the blue grey siding.  I never did get around to painting the man door on the garage, but still have lots of paint left for next time.  I also split and stacked some more firewood.
On Sunday evening Margarit headed back to the city.  On Monday morning Shawn had to return as well.  Anna and I stayed out for a few extra days.  We were supposed to pour the footings at our property next door on Tuesday, but it rained heavily all morning and forced us to postpone for a day.  We did eventually get that done on Wednesday, just before Anna and I headed back to the city.
We also spent some time working on Anna's bunk bed.  We previously built the box that will support her mattress.  This time around we made two wall panels that will support that mattress frame.  We got them sanded out and stained.  We still have more work to go to build the rest of the supports, and a ladder, as well as to get everything finished with several coats of lacquer.
Anna and I went out for a number of evening walks with Quinn and had lots of time to just hang out together.  We found some Blue Columbines blooming in the ditch in a few places near our property.  We also found a new footpath down to Shunda Creek.  We had a take out lunch from the Miner's Cafe in town and also stopped in at the new Nordegg Canteen for ice cream.  It was a pretty relaxing week and both Anna and I were somewhat reluctant and saddened to have to head back home on Wednesday.















No comments: