Sunday, June 13, 2021

Fresh Batch of 8x10 Negatives

I just finished processing a batch of 8x10 film.  This was eleven sheets of Ilford HP5+ film that I processed in Kodak D-76 Developer.  I'm not crazy about this particular combination and will look to try something different next time.  The negatives are OK, but they are a little heavy and flat.
I've included scans of three of the negatives from this batch.  My scanner does not do a great job with large 8x10 negatives.  There is no frame, or nothing to put pressure on the film and keep it flat.  The edges tend to curl a little, and some light creeps around the edge.  When the negative is inverted to a positive this light becomes a bit of a shadow.  Its not evident in all of the scans, but it shows up in some of them.  I may try to rescan these at a later date.
All of these images were taken in 2021 on various day trips that I went out on.  My friends from the Monochrome Guild were along with me on most of these outings.  I still have not gotten around to setting up the 8x10 enlarger that I bought years ago.  In the short term I look forward to contact printing some of these negatives.  Likely by some sort of alternative process.
These processes involve coating a sheet of art paper with a light senstive emulsion, made from raw chemicals.  The paper is coated, and then the negative is place directly onto the paper.  The materials are then exposed to a UV light source... either a UV light box, or just the sun.  An image then prints out onto the emulsion with the exposure to light.  Once the desired density is reached, the print is finished by a washing and sometimes a clearing.  The methods vary a little depending on the process being undertaken.  I have the chemistry necessary to attempt Van Dyke Brown, Ziatype, Cyanotype and Callitype prints.  There are numerous other ones that I may also attempt at some point.  Stay tuned for more...





No comments: