Friday, November 20, 2020

In Focus

Once again, Alexis Marie Chute is curating the InFocus Exhibition.  This is an exhibit of photographs that is displayed every year in conjunction with the Exposure Festival that takes place three hundred kilometers south, in Calgary, every February.  I think this exhibit has been ongoing since about 2014.  I have had one or more of my prints exhibited in every edition of the show, with the exception of last year.  Last year I was so wrapped up at work, and the sale of my company was imminent, and I missed the submission deadline.  This year the submission deadline was on November 16th.  The resulting accepted images will be shown in February of 2021.
There is a theme this year.... Brave New World.  I don't work well with themes as I have my own projects that I work towards and I shoot in my own style.  I did find three images in my archive that sort of fit this theme, so I sent them in.  By the end of November I will find out if any of them are accepted for exhibition.

The first is a shot of one of the ancient Limber Pines at Whirlpool Point.  This tree is among the oldest in Alberta.  One of the trees dated from this site is estimated to be 2500 to 3000 years old.  I thought this kind of fit the theme.


This next shot is an older image of some aspen trunks out at Elk Island National Park.  This was shot with a technique called Orton Imagery.  It is actually a double exposure, one in focus and one out of focus, that gives the image a bit of a glow.  My feeble attempt to try to fit to the theme...


Finally this one, a shot from the summer of 2019.  The carcass of this old Cottonwood Tree hangs on and defies gravity despite the harsh conditions.  This is a bit of a stretch to fit the theme, but the only thing I could come up with for a third image to round out the submission.



No comments: