Thursday, February 21, 2019

Miners House

Last weekend.... the Family Day Long Weekend.... between working at the shop on my millwork project, I managed to find my way down into the darkroom to process some film.  Though I haven't shot much new stuff the past year or so, I still have a backlog of film to process, dating back to 2017.  This time it was a mixed batch that included some Ilford Delta 100 and some Fuji Neopan Acros 100.  It was all 4x5 sheet film, and all processed in Rodinal developer.
This was to be my first attempt and shooting Delta for development in Rodinal.  I exposed the film at 64 iso, and processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 12:00 minutes at 24C.  This yielded some rather dense negatives that, though still easily printable, are a bit on the heavy side.  Moving forward I will reduce exposure, or development or a combination of both.
This particular shot is of an abandoned Miners House in East Coulee.  The house was donated by the Tasko family to the East Coulee School Museum, but now they are saddled with upkeep and taxes and are unsure what to do moving forward.  In the fall of 2017 when I was down in East Coulee for the premier screening of the Forgotten Prairie documentary, Museum director Barb Steeves let us in to the house to photograph.  At that time it was still furnished, but museum staff were about to clean it out.  The floor is beginning to collapse and some decisions will need to be made as to what to do with the property.
I shot this with my Ebony SV45TU view camera and a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm lens in October of 2017.


3 comments:

Curtiscomeau said...

Great Post!
It's helped me a lot.
Thanks for sharing this.
Edmonton Professional Photographer

Unknown said...

I must go back one day. This is the house that I grew up in. I have seen photos from other articles that show the sad state of the interior.
It was fun to come across your photo.
East Coulee was a great place to grow up in. I have many fond memories of fishing and swimming in the river, climbing the hills and playing games with my friends.


Cheers, Steve Tasko

Robert S Pohl said...

Apparently I have been very neglectful at paying attention to comments to my blog posts. I just realized today that there were about 30 comments that I did not moderate properly. Old guys like myself are not particularly computer literate I'm afraid. I hope those that were gracious enough to post comments, were not offended. I have a couple interior shots of this residence as we had permission from the local museum to photograph the interior, before they cleaned it out. I will make a point of posting these soon.