Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Canada Lynx

I left Nordegg at about 3:30 on Sunday afternoon.  Shortly after I got onto Highway 11 and started heading East I saw something cross the road about half a mile ahead of me.  I thought it was a coyote, as these guys are relatively common all over Alberta.  As I got closer, I saw that it was a Lynx.  About the size of a really big house cat with extra long legs....  He was not alarmed at the fact that I stopped and pulled the truck over to the side of the road.  He, or perhaps She... just continued walking at a leisurely pace, parallel to the highway.  I took a shot out the front windshield of the truck with my digital camera, and then pulled the truck up a little further as He/She continued walking along.  I got out of the truck and took a few more snapshots, including this one....   Eventually He/She turned and crossed the ditch and somewhat nonchalantly  headed into the woods....
Since we started regularly travelling out to Nordegg I've seen a lot of wildlife in and around the area.  This includes wild horses, black bear, moose, white tail and mule deer, porcupine, bighorn sheep, wolf, skunk, pine marten, red fox, coyote, bald eagle, great gray owl, ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, grizzly bear [tracks], elk, wolverine and now a lynx.  This is the first time I have ever seen a lynx in the wild....
About the only things left to add to the list are cougar.... and maybe Sasquatch...!  I'll keep my eyes peeled...!




No comments: