Saturday, February 2, 2019

Better Late than Never

It seems that winter has arrived in Western Canada... on Groundhog Day.  It has been cold and snowy the past few days... our first taste of "Real" winter weather.  Today the temperature struggled to get up to about -20C.  Late this afternoon the sun broke out and the snow came to an end.  We haven't seen a lot of accumulation... only a few inches.  With the clear skies will come even colder temperatures and it is forecast to drop down into the -30's tonight.
For the third weekend in a row I find myself staying home.  I had every intention of heading out to the cottage this weekend.  But road conditions were poor so I decided to stay home.  I don't really have much to work on out there, and my time is probably better spent building stuff at home.  To that end I spent 5 or 6 hours at the shop today, working on kitchen cabinets and interior doors.  I quite enjoy this kind of work, but after three weekends in a row spent doing this, I'm kind of itching to get back to the mountains...
I suppose it is better to be stuck in the shop on a -20C day than to have to be trying to build stuff on a nice day that could be spent outside...!  No hockey games to play this weekend so I don't have to try and fit that in to my routine.  The Monochrome Guild took down our show at Remedy Cafe this week, but the management liked it enough to invite us back to show again in March.
I was digging around through some old scans and came across this negative, shot five years ago in January of 2014.  This is the Maligne River in Jasper National Park.  The girls and I spent a weekend up there, and took my Mom along.  We did a short hike up into Maligne Canyon.  


No comments: