Friday, July 31, 2020

Clearwater County Landowners 2

Several years ago I wrote a blog post about buying a lot out in the Nordegg subdivision.  That post was quite well read, and the fact that we were able to negotiate a purchase price slightly below the County's list price, was well noted.  I think something like eleven lots sold shortly after we bought ours. 
All of the lots on the uphill side of Tamarack Trail sold a couple years back.  This only left the ones down below.  A couple of these are very steep, and will be difficult to build on, but for the most part, they are pretty decent properties.  For some reason people seemed kind of gun shy to buy, and mostly these were in limbo for a couple of years.  One sold and was built on about a year and a half ago.  Then this spring, a second one sold, and the buyer started clearing, in preparation of building.  This, perhaps in combination with the Covid situation prompted a lot of interest.  In recent weeks, five more lots have sold, and I understand that at least a couple more are pending.
Then the lot next door to us was put back on the market.  Someone bought it three years ago.  But then, for whatever reason, never followed through and did anything.  Probably a good financial explanation for this...?  We never met the buyer, though I understand that they were out once or twice, shortly after buying the property. Since then neither myself, nor the neighbors, have seen anyone around.  The county bylaws state that once you take possession of a property in the subdivision, you have three years to put up a cottage and complete it to lockup stage.  The buyers of this lot never did a thing... did not put in a driveway... did not start any clearing... and probably never even applied for a development permit.  Recently the three year window expired and the County took the lot back.  Under the bylaw the original buyer would have been refunded the purchase price less $5000.  The lot went back on the market about two weeks ago.
I'd been kicking around the idea of buying it for the last six months or so.  Initially I decided against it, given the fact that I no longer have any income, and am about to retire.  But in light of all the recent activity, I changed my mind.  I pulled the trigger and bought the lot today.
I probably need my head examined...!  Margarit kind of rolled her eyes and gave up on me, and washed her hands of the entire fiasco.  My plan is to be build the minimum size cottage allowed under the bylaws, and use it as a guest house.  Mostly this will provide us with some level of privacy and isolation for our current cottage.  If we ever have a change of heart, I'm sure we can sell the place and recover our investment.  These lots are of a finite quantity, and this was the last really good one left.  We can probably realize a sizeable profit on it in a few years if we choose to.  But I didn't buy it as an financial investment... I bought it as a lifestyle investment.  I think it will pay off.
Over the coming winter months I will take some time to consider what I would like to build, and apply for the development permit.  Then next spring we will put in a driveway and clear a few trees, and hopefully get a foundation in.  I will hire the local contractor to do the foundation work, and framing.  At that point I will be retired, and can take on much of the work myself.  We will keep it fairly small and simple, and may take several years to get around to fully finishing the interior.  I probably won't put in any heat, other than a wood stove.  Likely not any indoor plumbing either....  And, still deciding whether or not to bother with any electrical.  But, it will be an overflow to our existing cottage.  When the girls want to bring out friends, or if we have any friends or family that we invite out, there will be a place for them to stay.  We might consider renting it out, to recover some of the construction, insurance and tax costs.
Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done... but what the heck... God hates a coward...!

No comments: