Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Tipple Ceiling

Last week I processed a batch of Fuji Neopan Acros 100 film.  This included 20 sheets of 4" x 5" large format film.  One was blank, due to a shutter error with my lens when the image was taken.  The other 19 turned out pretty well.  This shot was taken inside an abandoned coal tipple down in Crowsnest Pass.  I took the image in May of 2019 when I was in the area for several days.  Some friends from the Monochrome Guild were out with me, and we were working on a project documenting the history of coal in Alberta.  That project is still ongoing and has to some degree been put on hold by the Corona Virus Pandemic.  The tones and patterns in the concrete of the ceiling are what first attracted me to this subject.  It is virtually impossible to point a view camera straight up and even to set up at this steep angle was rather involved and complicated.  It is very difficult to focus and compose in this orientation.  I think the image is successful.  More scans from that batch will be posted here in the coming days.


No comments: