Monday, September 10, 2012

Winter Hockey - Game 1

It sure didn't feel much like the start of hockey season on Saturday evening.  The afternoon temperature was up around +26C and the sun was shining.  By evening the temperature had not dropped off much as I found myself dragging hockey gear into the rink.  I've spent the last several weeks recruiting players, assigning jerseys, and collecting league fees.  Finally, most of that is now behind me and I can focus on just playing the game.  Several players from previous seasons did not return to the Renegades this year.  A couple of our full time guys are only able to play as spares.  So, the team has a very new look as we start the season with six new players.  We all met for the first time right before the game and it seems as though we have a pretty decent bunch of guys all with reasonable skill.  We were a little disorganized and I still need to figure out the role that everyone will fill.  Our first game was against the Ice Hawks.  We were leading by a score of 4-3 late in the third period but the Ice Hawks pulled their goalie and managed to score a late goal and tie the game.  We went into the sudden death overtime and unfortunately the Ice Hawks scored to win the game.  I was quite happy with the way our team played and look forward to us improving as we get used to all the new players.  As an added bonus I scored the third goal for our team.  I managed to stop a rolling puck at the blue line as I played the point in the offensive zone.  I snapped off a quick wrist shot and it found the bottom corner of the net, just beyond the goalie's outstretched pad.  A great way to start off the new year.

No comments: