Thursday, September 13, 2012

High Speed Infrared

Kodak used to manufacture a Black and White Infrared Film called High Speed Infrared.  It is a wonderful film, sensitive to wavelengths over 900nm.  There is no other film made that has a similar sensitivity.  Unfortunately it was discontinued in sheet film format nearly 15 years ago.  I stock piled a lot of it and have been using it ever since.  The last batches were made in the late 1990's and expired in 2000 and 2001.  Over 10 years later, I am still using it and still have a significant amount in my inventory.  It is starting to build up some accumulated base fog and the negative density is increasing.  But this can be easily printed through and the film is still yielding some great images.  I have quite a backlog of exposed film in my fridge, waiting to be processed.  At last count I think it was around 75 sheets.  I ran through a batch of 20 sheets on Monday evening.  I've scanned a few of the better ones to be included here.  These were all taken in the second half of 2010, and early 2011.  I hope to get to a bunch more of this film in the coming weeks...












No comments: