Monday, January 4, 2021

HC-110 Developer for Plus Development - Example Two

Here is another example of Kodak HC-110 Developer, used with increased development time [plus development] to increase contrast.  This image was taken on a gloomy spring day in 2005.  I was out on a day trip, with a couple of friends as I recall.  This one was shot on Ilford Delta 100 film, and given a two stop expansion with significantly increased development.  The film was underexposed by 1-1/3 stops, rating it at ISO 250.  I shot this with my Sinar F1 monorail view camera and a 300mm lens.  The sky was heavily overcast and the light was extremely flat.  I metered with a digital spotmeter and every aspect of the scene fell within a range of 1-2/3 stops.... from EV 11-2/3 to EV 13-1/3.  Only the sky had a higher value at EV 14-2/3 to 15.  With a relatively straight horizon I knew it would be quite straightforward to burn in the sky in printing.  I used a #8 yellow filter to try and lighten the new foliage just a little, and gave the required 1 stop extra exposure in compensation.  I exposed at EV 13-2/3, in an attempt to keep the sky a little more printable.  The exposure was 1/60 second at F16.0.  Development was for 22:00 minutes in HC-110 Dilution B, at 20 degrees C.
I know this probably does not make a whole lot of sense for those that are not familiar with film and the darkroom, but I hope the image is enjoyed nonetheless.  And, for those that understand analog photography, I hope that this information is found helpful.



No comments: