Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Sweet Fifteen

My middle daughter Anna and I headed out to the cottage on Friday September 4th.  She had started high school the day before, but had Friday off.  This was Anna's first time back to the cottage in several months as she had elected to stay home in the city most of the past several weekends.  We left the city around lunch time and got out by mid-afternoon.  We went for an afternoon ATV ride and then made pizza for dinner.
Margarit drove out separately with Hailey and they arrived later.  Our youngest daughter Helena decided that she wanted to stay home in the city this time.  We were a little nervous about leaving a 12 year old home alone, but arranged with the neighbors on either side to be available if there were any issues. 
This was the Labor Day Long weekend, but it was also Anna's 15th birthday on Sunday September 6th.  We celebrated with a BBQ dinner and then chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert.  Anna spent much of the weekend hanging out with her friend Raquel from three lots over.
It was a pretty laid back and relaxing weekend for all of us.  I never got around to any photography at all, not even with the digital camera.  I split a bunch of firewood, repaired some bar stools, attached the head board and foot board to our bed and worked on rebuilding my coffee table.  Margarit and Hailey helped me to move the new loveseat that I brought out a couple of weeks ago.  We wrestled it up the stairs and into the living room.  I played guitar for a bit and we all watched some movies together.  Hailey headed home on Sunday evening while the rest of us stayed until Monday afternoon.
The weather was really nice on Saturday but by Sunday it got cloudy and cooled off.  We got a touch of wet snow again on Monday.  I've been putting some nuts out on a bird feeder for the Whiskeyjacks and that has kept them coming around on a fairly regular basis.  I got them to come and eat out of my hand... but unfortunately didn't get any photos.
There is a definite feel of fall in the air now.  It cools off very quickly in the evenings when the sun goes down and drops to near freezing most nights.  The leaves are starting to turn color.  Soon winter will be upon us.  If this year follows the pattern of the last couple, I'm expecting a big dump of snow on the last day of summer...!

No comments: